What is maw.cx?
maw.cx is a free service for shortening web addresses and other URLs. This is useful in many circumstances e.g. when sending an address to a phone via SMS and character count is limited.
As an example you can turn:https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=louth&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=33.219383,38.803711&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Louth,+United+Kingdom&z=14
into something much shorter like:
You can also pick a specific meaningful shortened address if you want to, such as:
How to use maw.cx
Type or paste the address you want to shorten into the big box on our homepage and push the "Shorten!" button. It's that simple.
If you want to pick a shortened URL instead of having us generate one for you, before pressing "Shorten!", click on "Further options/custom URL" and type your choice in the additional box that appears after creating an Account. Don't worry, it's not rocket science!
If you're having any problems or have other questions about how maw.cx works, please check our Frequently Asked Questions list.
Uses for maw.cx
Here are a few of the most common uses for maw.cx: -
- Lower the character count when texting web address to a mobile phone via SMS.
- Lower the character count for instant messaging services or social networking sites like Twitter where space is limited.
- Work around problems with certain forum or blog software and some older email clients which may not handle very long links or links containing non-English characters correctly or may hyperlink the wrong parts of complex links.
- Make URLs easier to read aloud using our custom shortened URL facility or our pronounceable URL facility.
- Make URLs more concise to reproduce in print or video using our custom shortened URL facility.
A few potential uses of maw.cx are not allowed, for example use of our links in spam emails. Be sure to check our terms and conditions.